Why Use Fall Fertilizer?
Fall is easily the most important season to fertilize your lawn. Lawn grasses are typically the last plant in your landscape to go dormant for the winter, and one of the earliest to green up in the spring. Fall fertilizer is important to your lawn because it:
- Reinvigorates lawn after summer lawn damage
- Provides key lawn nutrients before winter
- Prepares the lawn for quick, easy green up come spring
Fall is the best and most important season to fertilize your lawn because:
- Fall morning dew delivers extra moisture to the lawn to help it slowly absorb nutrients from fall fertilizer
- The grass has a chance to use the fertilizer to build stamina before going dormant in the winter
- Supporting grass and its root growth in the fall leads to a healthier, greener, more vibrant lawn in the spring
Fall fertilizers, like all other fertilizers, are composed of a specific Nitrogen, Phosphorus, and Potassium (NPK) content ratio. When looking for a fall fertilizer, it is important to look for a product that has a high amount of slow-release nitrogen. Nitrogen is the element that is used by grass to grow new green foliage, which is important to the grass plants above the soil in its photosynthesis process. If you want a beautiful, luscious, green lawn in the spring - using a nitrogen fertilizer isn’t just an option - it’s a necessity.
When to Apply Fall Fertilizer to the Lawn
The exact timing is going to depend on your region and where you live. A good standard to follow is to apply in early fall (August through September) when nighttime temperatures are consistently in the 60s (F), well before the ground freezes. It is also important to time your application before rainfall is expected, or be sure to thoroughly water your lawn after application.
How to Choose a Fall Fertilizer?
When choosing a fall fertilizer, it is important to choose one that has a higher nitrogen content and a high percentage of slow-release nitrogen in the formulation. GreenView Fairway Formula Fall Fertilizer with an NPK of 30-0-12 has both, and so much more!
GreenView Fairway Formula Fall Fertilizer is great for your lawn because it:
- Has 59% slow-release nitrogen for extended feeding for up to 12 weeks - nearly 3X more slow-release nitrogen than other fertilizers on the market
- Has the highest slow-release nitrogen content on the market - means more nitrogen is released when the grass needs it - resulting in less leaching - better for your lawn AND the environment!
- Repairs summer damage while encouraging strong, deep root growth for winter hardiness and quick spring green-up
- Improves lawn’s ability to restore nutrients to the soil; better repairing the lawn from heat, drought, and activity, all while prepping grass for harsh winter conditions
- Promotes deeper green turf, faster green-up, brilliant color response, and fewer clippings - all leading to a more beautiful lawn the following spring
- Zero phosphates in formulation - helps protect our waterways
- Can be used on ANY type of grass!