Every property is different. Knowing the square footage of your yard tells you how much water, fertilizer, or grass seed you will need to maintain it.
Why You Need to Measure Your Lawn’s Square Footage
Every bag of lawn product that you get at the store, whether it be fertilizer or grass seed, will state the approximate square footage it will cover. You should aim to get just enough product to cover your square footage, which will benefit you because:
- You won’t overspend for additional product you won’t need
- If you use a product past its recommended use, you could damage your lawn - buying just enough product will ensure this doesn’t happen
- You won’t have to run to the store to buy more if you didn’t buy enough the first time
- If you buy too much product, you avoid having to store it until the next season
How to Find Your Property’s Square Footage with Online Tools
Mobile applications for your smartphone or other devices make measuring easier and more accurate for you.
Here are some lawn measuring apps:
- Global Syn-Turf
- Enter your address, and then use the Pen tool to mark your grass areas
- Google Earth
- Enter your address, and use the ‘Measure distance and area’ tool to mark the grassy areas of your lawn
- Measure My Lawn
- Use the measurement tools provided to mark the lawn areas of your yard
- Download this mobile app for $2.99 to measure the square footage of your yard
How to Manually Find Your Property’s Square Footage
If you’d like to measure your yard the old fashioned way, follow these steps:
- Walk the length of your lawn, figuring that one pace equals about 3 feet. Do the same with the width of the lawn.
- Then multiply the length by the width to arrive at the total. Make sure you subtract the square footage of your home and driveway when calculating the total square footage of your lawn.
- If your lawn has an irregular shape, try dividing it up into a number of square areas. Calculate the square footage for each area, then add the figures together to reach your total lawn size
Put Your Info to Use!
Once you have all of your measurements, it’s time to go to your favorite store to purchase grass seed and fertilizer. Do you have crabgrass or weedy lawn issues? Give GreenView Fairway Formula Spring Fertilizer with Crabgrass Preventer a try. It prevents crabgrass and other grass and broadleaf weeds (as listed on label) for up to 4 months when applied prior to germination in lawns. It also provides post-emergence control of seedling crabgrass for up to 4 weeks after it germinates. Expect professional-looking results from our favored pro-grade GreenView Fairway Formula lawn care line.